Charlie Cofer is the elected Public Defender representing adults and children in the Fourth Judicial Circuit of Florida, which consists of Duval, Clay and Nassau Counties. He took office in January 2017.
- Florida Public Defender Association James Evans “Jim” Slater Award 2016
- Alan Chipperfield
- Jacksonville Bar Association – Michael Bateh Board of Governors
- Florida Public Defender Association Support Staff Employee of the Year
– Beth Frill, Legal Assistant Clay County
- National Association of Social Workers Public Citizen of the Year for Work with Military
– John Holzbaur
- Florida Public Defender Association Holly Marie Stutz Outstanding Administrative Service Award
– IT Director Joe Frasier
- Jacksonville Area Legal Aid Outstanding Pro Bono Service Award
– Director Felony Court Fred Gazaleh
- Jacksonville Area Legal Aid
– Cynthia Hunold named to Board of Directors
- MacArthur Foundation Models for Change Award
– Juvenile Director Rob Mason
- Florida Public Defender Association Investigator of the Year
– Investigator David Douglas
- Recognized for the acquittal obtained in the Brenton Butler Homicide case in the documentary film entitled "Murder on a Sunday Morning"
The film won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature at the 74th Academy Awards in 2002.